Sunday, March 18, 2012

Frittata

I realized that I post frittata on the weekly menu quite often, but I haven't yet written about how I make it. Today I made one for breakfast.  Here's how I did it.



ingredients:

6 eggs
1-2 Tablespoons (a good splash) of milk
salt and pepper
spices if you like
butter or olive oil
1 leek, mostly white part,  halved lengthwise and chopped into half moon pieces
1 potatoe, cubed
a handful of spinach, chopped
(I would usually add fresh rosemary to this mix-- it is so magical with eggs! but today I had none.)

put whatever you like into your frittata such as:
   tomatoes, basil, mozzarella cheese
   bacon, onions, potatoes, peppers
   tomatoes, zucchini, goat cheese, green onions
   broccoli, zucchini, red peppers
   any veggies you have in the fridge and need to use up!
   etc. etc. etc.

Preheat the oven to 425.
First, prep and chop the ingredients.
Next, whisk the eggs and the milk and season with S&P.
Using a sautee pan that can go in the oven (if you do not have this, use any sautee pan for this first step of cooking and have a greased pie plate at the ready), heat about 1 Tbsp. butter and add the potatoes. I like to do this to crisp them on the outside and to ensure that they get cooked through (about 5 minutes). 
Remove potatoes from the pan, set aside.
Add extra olive oil or butter to the pan to coat the sides. Return pan to stove and turn heat up to high.
Add eggs to heated pan, and allow to cook for a couple minutes to let the bottom "set". 
Then, add potatoes, leeks, spinach.
Transfer to oven for 20-25 minutes.  Remove when eggs are set and begin to brown on top. 
Allow to cool for 1-2 minutes, then carefully remove from pan (I transfer it to a cutting board) and serve.







Top with crumbled goat cheese for an extra treat! 

No comments:

Post a Comment