Wednesday, January 25, 2012

When Cravings Attack: Homemade Peanut Butter Cups

Have I mentioned that my sweet tooth is about the same size of my head?

If there's one thing I love equally as chocolate it's peanut butter.  One of my favorite comfort foods is toast with peanut butter and jelly. Or toast with peanut butter, banana and honey. Mmmm..... 

The other night, I was struck by a craving for Reese's peanut butter cups and a sudden urge to make them right away.  Having never made them before, I googled hoping it would be an easy fix (this is one great reason to keep a well-stocked pantry!!) and I was not let down.  It should be no surprise that there were a wide array of easy DIY peanut butter cup recipes out there and I was happy to learn that they were relatively easy with ingredients I had on hand. 

I based mine off some recipes I read on Allrecipes.com.  Here's what I think went into them.  It all happened so fast I am trying to remember... and they are long gone by now.

2/3 cup peanut butter
stick of salted butter, melted
1 cup finely ground graham crackers
approx. 2 Tbsp. honey

Mix the above together and spread in the bottom of a pan. (some recipes mentioned using a 9 x 13 pan or a brownie pan but I was going for about a half recipe so I used our bread pan.)  put in freezer.

meanwhile melt approx.
1/2-1 C chocolate chips
in the microwave in 20 second intervals until melted. 
Spread on peanut butter stuff.  Put back in fridge or freezer until solid. 

I had to stop myself from scarfing the whole pan down right away. I was good and shared with my husband and they lasted about three days.  There was not time to get a picture... so click here and pretend these are mine. :) 


It wasn't until the day after that I remembered my friend Aimee makes amazing homemade peanut butter cups that is pared down and way more health conscious than the stick of melted butter version I made.  She was kind enough to share her recipe with the Kitchen Table Friends...

Aimee's PB & Chocolate Squares



1 1/2 cups crushed Cheerios
1 1/2 cups natural peanut butter
1 12 oz bag chocolate chips

Combine Cheerios and peanut butter and mix well. Press mixture evenly into a 9”x13” pan. Melt chocolate chips in microwave. Spread over peanut butter mixture. Chill until just set and cut into bars.




1 comment: