Tuesday, January 31, 2012

This is what I did last night...

In preparing our Indian dishes last night, I tried to take nice and neat photos of the ingredients as I got them ready.  I got a few, but as things started heating up in the kitchen, it didn't work out exactly as planned.  So I had a deliciuos dinner but not as many nice photos as I had hoped... Here are a few that I think will capture the fun of last night's cooking adventure.


This is turmeric, coriander, garam masala, chili powder, salt, and paprika. This is half of the spices required for a sauce that is the base of most of the dishes in the book I used.


Here's the second half.  Cinnamon stick, bay leaves, cumin seeds, black cardamom.     



After this, the spice cabinet needs a makeover...


Plain yogurt, potatoes, oil, salt, chili powder and turmeric, garam masala and sugar for the Dum Aloo dish.
Red lentils, onion, cilantro, garlic, diced tomatoes, butter, mustard seeds and cumin seeds for the lentil dish!


Count the pots...


potatoes on the left, lentils on the right.
Oh yeah, and we made naan.  Whew! Finally ready to eat.  It was good.

4 comments:

  1. Looks great! I used Turmeric in a chicken recipe a few weeks ago and my spatula is now permanently yellow!! Ann W.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I would agree that can be an unfortunate side effect of turmeric! :)

      Delete
  2. Mmmm! Indian cooking looking good! Wish you were here and we could go out to dinner! Heading to the green hotel this evening, for panir dishes, I need a cheese fix :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoy! Have you made it at home? It's actually quite easy. When you return from India, I suggest you try it.

      Delete