Monday, July 9, 2012

Growing (and eating!) Our Own Food: Summer Squash

Slowly but surely more food is coming out of the garden.  The latest: summer squash.  Several of these delicious yellow or green veggies have found their way into my current staple, the veggie quinoa bowl. However, for a recent dinner party with friends, I wanted to make a starter rather than a main dish.  I based it on a summer food memory of breaded, fried zucchini, that I used to help my mom make years ago (Thanks MOM!).


summer squash/zucchini "fries"

ingredients:
1 large summer squash, cut into rounds
1-2 Cups bread crumbs*
1-2 Tablespoons grated parmesan
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
2 eggs,beaten
splash of milk
salt and pepper
neutral oil for frying

wash, then cut the squash into rounds (I prefer rounds based on the way my mom made them, while I found pictures on the internet of thick cut french fry shapes... )

*DIY bread crumbs in three steps: 
     1. save bread ends in the freezer
     2. toast bread as needed 
     3. grind the toast to thin powdery crumbs in the food processor

Mix the  parmesan and seasonings with the breadcrumbs on a plate.
Beat two eggs with a splash of milk.

Dunk each piece of squash in the egg and milk mixture, then coat it with bread crumbs.  Set aside until all are covered.

Add oil and heat it in a shallow pan, so there is a small pool covering the bottom, (I don't know the measurement on this, you need enough to make the breading sizzle, but you aren't "deep frying" here.)

Starting with the thickest slices of squash since they'll need longer to cook, place squash in pan, fry until brown on both sides (approximately 3-4 minutes on each side).

Sprinkle with extra parmesan! 



We ate ours with some pesto I made from basil that is also plentifully growing in our garden.  You won't be surprised that I turned to Mark Bittman's recipe pesto.  So simple, so delicious!!
Someone was kind enough to write up the recipe here!




No comments:

Post a Comment