Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Sauce: 1, Squash: 0

I haven't been making things from scratch as often as I used to/want to... That's when handy prepared items, like the many tasty items that can be found at Trader Joe's are quite convenient.

I picked up a container of "fresh" (aka not dried and in the refrigerated section) butternut squash ravioli that was in triangle shapes making it a triangoli!  Wow!  I love butternut squash so was very excited to try this product.  Though I didn't know what sauce to use...  when I Googled, I found that most of the time butternut squash ravioli is served with brown butter sage sauce.  While that sounded delicious I wanted something a little less... buttery/creamy.  So I searched for a vegan recipe knowing that would be without both of those items and I could modify however I wanted.  I came across a great, simple recipe for mushroom and walnut broth from theveganversion.com .

It was an amazing broth, and I added butter instead of vegan butter, making a really nice sauce.  In fact, the brothy sauce was the best part. I didn't read the whole ingredient list on the butternut squash until after I started eating.  The butternut squash ravioli, which usually tend to be a little sweet due to the sweetness of the squash, was way too sweet.  They tasted like a Dutch letter.   Which was weird, especially with the awesome savory mushroom broth.  When I checked the ingredients I found that they included some sort of amaretti cookies in the squash filling.  Here is a product review from Trader Joe's fan and blogger What's Good at Trader Joe's.com  for more information.

All in all, it was an ok meal, but I definitely would not get the ravioli again.  I would love to try this broth again with a savory pasta because it was perfectly delicious without being too heavy. I'm glad I now know how to make such a quick and easy, savory, non cream sauce for pasta.  The sauce was the winner in this dinner.


2 comments:

  1. Allison, I had a similar experience witha box of b-nut squash soup. I love my homemade butternut soup but just needed an easy out for a few lunchtime meals. It was waaaay too sweet. Looked at the ingredients, and it was sweetened with rice syrup.

    Whyyyyyy? butternut squash is so good as it is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I have found that packaged butternut squash soups look good, but are too thin and either too sweet or bland. Sigh. I guess we should make it in bulk and then put it in cute little packages in the freeezer for when we need a quick meal.

      But about the broth... you need to try it on something. Use mini-portabello mushrooms. AMAZ-ING!

      Delete